Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Ladies Night Out

Have you ever been new to a place? Almost 9 years ago, my husband and I moved to a new area. We were thrilled to be able to live where we wanted to live, after looking for a year. We had a great house, a great family (about to expand, again...) and everything we needed, but a church home and friends. On Memorial weekend, we found Gingellville Community Church, and tried it out. To make a long story short, we liked it and stayed. After the twins were born and we had survived most of the first year, we figured out we needed some LOCAL friends. One day at church, a group of women were talking and they were going to go together to go shopping for a gift for a woman in the church (Lenora!) that was having a baby. They invited me! I was so excited. I remember meeting them and going to Babies R Us to go shopping, and even meeting some other people there (Kim and Mawmaw). I remember that Helene paid, and I was desperately trying to remember that it was Helene that I owed money for the present to... then we went out to grab some dessert.

While we were there, someone mentioned that we should go out more often, more regularly. Someone should plan it. So, I volunteered. I knew that if I volunteered to do it, it would get done. I didn't know these people, but I knew that I needed them. Right then LNO was born! Not out of some "Higher purpose". Not out some feeling that we should have a women's ministry at the church. Not out of some obligation, but simply because I needed some friends.

It has been about 8 years since LNO was born, and most months (11 out of 12) we have a night out. We have had as few as 4 people show up (and had a blast) and as many as about 30 when we had a potluck. We have been to many varied restaurants, and I have learned what gets a bigger turn out and what doesn't, but it has always been great. These women are wonderful. It is fun to get to know new people (in and out of the church), and I love going out to dinner once a month with them.

It is wonderful to see who God brings to the table to break bread with...I have never regretted going.

With love, my Sisters,
Kristin

No comments: